Change for Motorhome Owners – Air Quality Certificate in France

It is imperative for brokers to stay informed of changes effecting motorhome owners, Why? That’s quite simple, to create good brand image by either giving a head’s up or by answering your client’s queries promptly.

A recent such change is the air quality certificate in France.

As brokers, you could impress your customers by informing about the ‘Air Quality Certificate’ needed in Paris.

Here is some information on Air Quality Certificate:


The new Crit’Air system is used on high pollution days to prevent the worst polluting vehicles from driving in the affected cities. They’ve banned cars registered before 1996 (and vans registered before 1997) from entering the city between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday.

This law has been in effect since last year. However, the new regulations require vehicles to display a sticker that shows just how polluting it is, on a scale of one to five.

On days when smog is particularly bad, they can extend the ban too, for example, all vehicles with a ‘4’ or ‘5’ grade sticker (as these are the most pollutant).

Tourists and visitors are not exempted from this new law. It applies to the entire city of Paris, unless you’re simply passing through on the Paris Ring Road (Boulevard Périphérique) – as many Brits do when they head to the south of France.


Where can your Customers get an Air Quality Sticker?

You could inform your customers that they can get their Air Quality Sticker for their vehicle from the official website here.

Also, you could give a heads up regarding other websites that sell the stickers as these sites have been known to charge excessive administration costs.

At the official site, vehicle owners will pay just €4.80 while the others are charging up to €30.

Those who don’t have stickers are in danger of being fined up to £135. If your customers have ordered the stickers and are concerned about the progress then just remind them they can track their orders on the Government’s official Crit’Air website and always keep a copy of their order receipt.


How should your customers decide on the right Sticker?

A vehicle will be graded on a scale of one to five (five being the most pollutant), but there is an additional sticker for green vehicles that are 100% electric or hydrogen powered.

Your clients will have to see which of the following categories their vehicle fits into based on the European Emissions Standards that each road vehicle must adhere to.

The year of build of the vehicle and the emissions levels determines which level the vehicle falls into, and which certificate it will need while driving in France. (For example, if anyone drives a 2004 diesel vehicle, they’ll need a CRIT’AIR 4, Dark Red Sticker).


The below details the classification of the stickers:

image credit:


  • CRIT’AIR (Green Sticker)

For green vehicles that are 100% electric of hydrogen powered.

  • CRIT’AIR 1 (Purple Sticker)

Plug-in hybrid cars and Euro 5 and 6 petrol models (registered from 1 January 2011).

  • CRIT’AIR 2 (Yellow Sticker)

Euro 4 petrol-powered cars (registered between 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010) and Euro 5 and 6 diesel models (registered from 1 January 2011).

  • CRIT’AIR 3 (Orange Sticker)

Euro 2 and 3 petrol cars (registered from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2005), Euro 4 diesel cars (registered between 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010).

  • CRIT’AIR 4 (Dark Red Sticker)

Euro 3 diesel cars registered between 1 January 2001 and 31 December 2005.

  • CRIT’AIR 5 (Dark Blue Sticker)

Euro 2 diesels, registered from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2000.


One last thing – as of July 1st 2017, vehicles with a category 5 sticker will also be banned from Paris between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday. Please visit the official website for more details.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *